View unanswered posts | View active topics All times are UTC - 8 hours
Board index » Public Forums » General Discussion

Michelangelo
Officer
<Casually Serious>

Post subject: Ranged vs Melee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 pm 
Following up my question in Hunter discussion, this is what I'm looking at:

How did Blizzard USE to differentiate between ranged and melee for PVE? Were all Ranged classes turrets but had more room and Melee could attack on-the-move but relied on being at the boss?

Creel
Guild Master
<Casually Serious>

Post subject: Re: Ranged vs Melee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:50 pm 
Bringing it back to Vanilla...

In Vanilla , for pvp anyways, when it was a ranged vs melee class there was a battle for distance. Melee really had to work to maintain uptime on the ranged classes but once they managed to close the distance they could put out alot of damage on the ranged classes. Typically ranged had something in their toolkit to buy time to get off a cpl casts - now melee can maintain basically 100% uptime on ranged with all the closers they have. The gap closers , speed boosts are currently out of control.

Hunters had deadzones - they couldn't shoot in melee range and needed to be a minimum distance AWAY from someone to hit them.

Almost no casters could nuke on the move - there were some instants here and there but you really needed to be able to cast a spell for any worthwhile damage.

There was far fewer cc's in the game and most classes had 1 cc to use (if any) - shaman had no cc for awhile until hex was introduced.

I didn't raid much back then but I do recall that melee had to especially pay attention to threat in raids - a cpl crits could easily pull threat off the boss and get you killed. Ranged has this problem also but to a much much smaller extent (most the melee damage came from white hits)

So ranged used to do less damage but they could hit you from afar vs melee that had better damage but needed to get up close.

In answer to your other question - yes ranged had to plant to do dps and melee had the advantage of being able to move and dps. (This was a big mistake this xpac in my opinion - no ranged should have been given such liberties in moving while maintaining high dps - the problem now is that they gave it to some ranged which means they need to give it to all to balance OR take it away from all to balance.... as it stands now with all the movement in raids + the gap closers/runs speed boosts that melee have... it just too big of an advantage to give to some ranged classes but not all)

Michelangelo
Officer
<Casually Serious>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:09 pm 
Perfect Creel, exactly the type of detail I'm looking for. Trying to articulate my thoughts for next article.

Feigndead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:11 pm 
Article where?

Whitecloak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm 
bigbutts.com

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/ ... hitecloak/ DK

Michelangelo
Officer
<Casually Serious>